Monday, June 25, 2012

Experiment 22 - 24-Hour Omelet


Ingredients list

This is not actually an omelet.  I believe technically it is a type of strata.



A few things to notice about my ingredients - I used skim milk, because I don't ever have whole milk in the house.  I used the "Mexican blend" shredded cheese that I had on hand, because hey, why not?  And if you look close you'll see the bag of mustard seeds there.  I don't have any dry mustard, but I have the seeds and the infamous "motar" and pestle, so it's all good.




The preparation was very simple.  First, grease a small casserole or baking dish (approx 3 cup or 5" x 7").  I ended up using a dish that was too big, which may have presented a problem (more about that later) Butter the bread, then cut into 1" squares.


Scatter half the bread and half the cheese into the baking dish.  Then do it again with the other half of the bread and the cheese. Whisk together the rest of the ingredients,


 and pour over the bread.  Press down on the bread to help it soak up the egg mixture, then cover the dish with plastic wrap and stick it into the refrigerator for at least eight hours, up to 24 (see also: name of recipe).




When it's time to cook, just stick it into a 350 degree oven for an hour.

Mine came out a little well-done.  I think that's a combination of using a dish that was too big and having an oven that's not well-calibrated.


Verdict - meh.  Maybe if I had used the proper sized baking dish, it would have been better.  As it was, this just seemed like eggs and toast, all mixed together.  If I wanted a breakfast bowl, I'd go to Bob Evans.  Which reminds me, I had bought sausage to have with this, and I completely forgot to cook it.  D'oh!
Lessons Learned - pay attention to the instructions on the size of the baking dish!.
Tools needed - I really need some measuring spoons that can help me with the 1/8 and 1/4 tsp measures that many of these recipes have called for.
Skills needed - nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment