Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Experiment 21 - Irish Whiskey Cake with Dark Chocolate


Ingredients list

A few years ago, I spent most of the spring and summer unemployed, but still getting paid, thanks to a relatively decent severance package.  An intelligent, frugal person would have saved every extra penny during that time.  Me, I bought things from eBay and Amazon, including a refurbished KitchenAid stand mixer.  The reason I mention that is that I got to use my mixer for this week's recipe; I haven't used it much since that summer of leisure, I guess I was just preparing for the time I'd start a recipe blog and randomly choose a recipe that called for it.

I usually don't just copy and paste the instructions, due to possible copyright issues, but I'm going to go out on a limb here.  I can't find anything with this exact recipe name in my searches, so I hope there's no problem. I'm surely not making any money from this.  And I did throw in a couple photos and notes in between the steps.

But first, here are all the ingredients --




Directions:
0. Preheat your oven to 350°
1. Butter and flour a bundt cake pan
I used some Pam made for baking, that has both the oily stuff and the flour, because I'm lazy like that.
2. In a bowl, stir together flour, salt, and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together whiskey, oil, and milk. Set bowls aside.
Since you've got the whiskey bottle open anyway, now would be a good time to have a wee glass o' the good stuff.
4. In a stand mixer, using paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth.
According to the label, one stick of butter is 113 grams.  Since the recipe called for 110g, I got crazy and used the whole stick.
5. Add sugar and vanilla and beat well.
Measuring the vanilla is the only time I had to check online for a conversion.  Turns out that 10 ml is just a tad over 2 teaspoons.
6. Add eggs and egg whites 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
7. Add liquid and dry alternately to butter mixture stirring just to incorporate.
8. Gently stir chocolate through batter.
9. Pour finished batter into prepared pan


(I took this photo mostly so you could see how much of a mess I generally make when doing these recipes)

 and bake in a preheated 350° oven 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean or with just a few crumbs
10. Remove from pan to cooling rack and cool completely.
Completely?  But it smells so good, and warm cake is yummy.






Verdict: Oh my, yes.  Now bear in mind, this is not a "chocolate" cake.  This is a cake with small bits of chocolate in it.  And it's very very good.

Lessons Learned - nothing new this week.
Tools needed - I didn't have to buy anything this week, as I'd bought the KitchenAid mixer several years ago, just for this moment.
Skills needed - nothing new this week, although I used my relatively new skill of egg separating that I taught myself several recipes ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment