Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Experiment 22 - The Selection


Another break in the action, courtesy of good weather and an attempt to have one of those things, ummmm, a "social life" I think it's called.  I'm not going to go nuts trying to do too many things in a week, and cooking is, for better or worse, lower on the priority list than some other things.  I'll see how the summer goes.  I'll post as often as I can, that's all I can say.

For this week I decided to search through a great cookbook I'd gotten for Christmas - Cooking for Two, 2010 from America's Test Kitchen.  I searched the ATK site  for a copy of the recipe that I could link to, but didn't even find their "full-size" version of the recipe.  There are other sites out there that seem to have no qualms with posting verbatim copies of ATK's work, but we don't do that here.  I might have trouble keeping up with the schedule I initially set up for myself, but one thing I won't compromise on is my avoidance of copyright issues.

So I was flipping through this cookbook and landed in the breakfast section.  I got tempted by a recipe for a 24-Hour "Omelet".  The quotes are because this isn't really an omelet as you'd normally think of one.  More details on that in the next post.  One advantage to this one is that the prep work is done the night before the cooking, and even though I'll be using the oven, it will be early in the day, before the heat gets too crazy.  (First day of summer here and suddenly the temperature hit 98 F)

24-Hour "Omelet"
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
2 slices high-quality white sandwich bread
3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
3/4 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup grated onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce

I will not even have to shop for this, I have everything I need on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment