Monday, April 9, 2012

Experiment 14 - The Postponement


A funny thing happened on the way to the Carne Asada.  It wasn't an ingredients issue - I was able to get the tomatillos I need.  Well, two pounds of them, anyway, but that works for halving the recipe.  I think I ended up with only 1.96 pounds, but that was nearly everything that the store had.

No, it was springtime.  Springtime happened.  After spending hours outside working on the yard on Sunday, the thought of spending another couple hours on my feet prepping the sauce and everything else just wasn't in the cards.  And today being a work day and having other chores lined up used up my available time.

Granted, I have the tomatillos and other produce, so I'm going to have to make this stuff tomorrow.  Wednesday at the latest.

In the meantime, here is a brief story to entertain you.  Many years ago, when I still lived in Connecticut, I was out to dinner with my friend Barry at a Mexican restaurant called Jasper's.  I believe it was located on Capitol Avenue at the time, although it later moved downtown to Union Place, in the location that had been Mad Murphy's.  But I digress.  After we'd eaten our meal, I excused myself to go to the men's room.  When I came back to the table, Barry had ordered coffee for both of us.  Up until that moment, I had never been a coffee drinker, at all, ever.  It smelled pretty good, though, so I figured I'd give it a try.  I thought it was great, and wondered why I'd been drinking tea all those years.  I was immediately hooked, and have been drinking coffee ever since, although at first I couldn't figure out why what I was drinking didn't taste quite the same.  The twist was that what I'd had at Jasper's was "Mexican Coffee."  Nothing alcoholic, but with lots of brown sugar and cinnamon.  I still make it that way for myself once in a while.  Although as of this writing, my coffee maker isn't working, so there's another thing to deal with.

Anyway, Carne Asada coming up within 48 hours.  Please stand by.

No comments:

Post a Comment