Thursday, February 2, 2012

Experiment 5 - The Selection


I have no excuse for missing my Wednesday scheduled post.  Mea culpa.

But on to business.  This week I chose to dive into a binder full of recipe cards that I have, "Southern Living 5 Star Recipes".  For some reason, I briefly (for less than a year), subscribed to a service from which I would get several 8 1/2 by 11 pages with recipes in various categories - Eggs & Cheese, Pasta, Cakes & Cookies, and so on.  Each time I got an envelope full of these, I'd have to go ahead and place the pages in the appropriate sections of the giant binder.






As you can see, each page has a big photo (right side above), and on the reverse side there is at least one recipe - sometimes two or three that use the same primary ingredient.   In scanning through the book for this week's selection (and I fully admit that this wasn't as random as pawing through a stack of newspaper clippings), I noticed that many of the photos were uncomfortably close to the infamous Weight Watcher cards, but maybe not quite so scary.

In the end, I decided to go with Veal Piccata

Here's the ingredients list:

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cloves garlic
12 thin veal cutlets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 to 6 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Lemon twists (optional)

4 to 6 servings.

I know I've said this before, but I'll definitely be scaling this recipe down.  I'm also going to pass on getting white pepper; I have a nice container of Penzey's fresh ground pepper, and if I cut this in half I'll be using less than half a teaspoon, so it's just not worth it to get special pepper.  Tune in on Sunday for the results, I promise not to be late.

No comments:

Post a Comment